This is the website of Museum of the Moving Image.
3601 35 AVENUE
Astoria, NY 11106
We can be reached via e-mail at
or you can reach us by telephone at 718-784-4520.
This Policy is effective on September 1, 2008.
For each visitor to our website, our Web server automatically recognizes only the visitor's domain name, but not the e-mail address.
We collect only the domain name, but not the e-mail address of visitors to our website, aggregate information on which pages visitors access or visit, information volunteered by visitors, such as survey information and/or site registrations, and payment information (e.g., credit card numbers and billing addresses).
Information that is automatically collected is used only for the purposes of analysis of website visitation, and to improve the content of our Web page. Information volunteered by the visitor is used, when consent for such usage is granted, to notify visitors about updates to our website, or to notify visitors about upcoming events and programs. This information is not shared with other organizations for commercial purposes. It may be disclosed when legally required to do so, at the request of governmental authorities conducting an investigation, to verify or enforce compliance with the policies governing our website and applicable laws or to protect against misuse or unauthorized use of our website.
You may use our website without registering or submitting any personally identifiable information. However, in order to have access to certain personalized features of the site, or to receive the Museum’s newsletter or other requested program information, you must register.
If you decide to register, you will be asked to provide personally identifiable information that will include a user name and password and email address. We store this information, along with your other preferences, on a secured server so that you need not reenter it when you return to the site. If you select the "Remember Me" feature when registering, the site will display your login information upon returning to the site.
If at the time of registration you have elected to receive newsletters, other e-mails, or communications from the Museum, but have subsequently changed your mind, you may opt out by clicking on the "Unsubscribe" link at the bottom of these communications.
The Museum does not share any information gathered online with commercial organizations without prior consent to do so from the visitor.
Persons who supply us with their telephone numbers online will only receive telephone contact from us with information regarding orders they have placed online.
With respect to ad servers: We do not partner with or have special relationships with any ad server companies.
We may use visitor information for new, unanticipated uses not previously disclosed in our privacy notice. If our information practices change at some time in the future we will contact you directly before we use your data for these new purposes to notify you of the policy change and to provide you with the ability to opt out of these new uses.
With respect to security: We have appropriate security measures in place in our physical facilities to protect against the loss, misuse, or alteration of information that we have collected from you at our site.
Copyright Terms & Conditions of Use
Access to and use of the text, images, and other files on this website are subject to the following terms and conditions:
1. Software, data, documentation, electronic text and image files, audio and video clips, and other material are protected by copyright laws and may be covered by other restrictions as well. The Museum of the Moving Image ("Moving Image") retains all rights, including copyright, in data, image, text, and any other information contained in these files. Copyrights and other proprietary rights in the material on this website may also subsist in individuals or entities other than, and/or in addition to, Moving Image. Moving Image expressly prohibits the copying of any protected materials on this website, except for the purposes of fair use as defined in the copyright laws, and as described below.
2. Fair use of copyrighted material includes the use of protected materials for noncommercial educational purposes, such as teaching, scholarship, research, criticism, commentary, and news reporting. Unless otherwise noted, users who wish to download or print text and image files from Moving Image's website for such uses are welcome to do so without Moving Image's express permission. Users must cite the author and source of this material as they would material from any printed work; the citation should include the URL of the Museum website from which the material was drawn.
Moving Image does not warrant that use of the materials displayed on this website will not infringe the rights of third parties not affiliated with Moving Image. Such works may not be used in any form; they may not be copied or downloaded without prior permission from the holder of the underlying copyright.
By downloading, printing, or otherwise using text and image files from this website, users agree that they will limit their use of such files to fair use, and will not violate Moving Image's or any other party's proprietary rights.
3. Unauthorized commercial publication or exploitation of Moving Image's files is specifically prohibited. Anyone wishing to use any of these files or images for commercial use, publication, or any purpose other than fair use as defined by law must request and receive prior written permission from Moving Image. Permission for such use is granted on a case-by-case basis at the sole discretion of Moving Image. A usage fee may be involved depending on the nature and type of the proposed use.
For inquiries regarding research and photographic services, see the For Researchers [http://www.movingimage.us/site/collection/index.html] section of movingimage.us.
4. Moving Image is not responsible for the content of any off-site pages or other sites linked to this website. Users link to any off-site pages or other sites at their own risk.
5. The Museum of the Moving Image is not the copyright holder of the campaign commercials and other video materials presented on this website. The commercials in The Living Room Canidate are presented in streaming, non-downloadable form for use as an educational exhibition and research resource. Permission to reproduce or display this material in any other context must be obtained from the copyright holder. The Museum has made best effort to identify the makers of each commercial. This information, along with the identity of the organization that has provided the Museum with the video material, is identified in the CREDITS screen for each commercial.
With respect to user-generated content, such as playlists: Your user-generated content is not confidential or proprietary. You grant to the Museum a non-exclusive, non-revocable, worldwide, perpetual right to use your user generated content in any manner or media now- or later-known, without limitation, including but not limited to the right to sublicense and assign without any compensation due to you.
Moving Image does not have any obligation to review user-generated content, and Moving Image is not in any manner responsible for this content. We do not guarantee the accuracy, integrity or quality of user-generated content, and cannot assure that harmful, inaccurate, deceptive, offensive, threatening, defamatory, unlawful, or otherwise objectionable user-generated content will not appear on the website. By providing you with the ability to access and view user-generated from the website, Moving Image is merely acting as a passive conduit for such distribution and is not undertaking any obligation or liability relating to the content or activities of users on the website. Without limiting the generality of the foregoing, the information, materials, and opinions expressed or included on this website are not necessarily those of the Museum of the Moving Image, its staff, or its affiliated or related entities or content providers.
Notwithstanding the foregoing, Moving Image may monitor user-generated content residing on its Web Server at its sole discretion, and reserves the right to alter or remove any such user-generated content, in whole or in part, for any reason. At its sole discretion, Moving Image may remove user-generated content determined to be abusive; harassing; threatening; defamatory; obscene; an impersonation of others; fraudulent; deceptive; misleading; in violation of a copyright, trademark or other intellectual property right of another; invasive of privacy or publicity rights; in violation of any other right of Moving Image or another party; illegal; or otherwise objectionable to Moving Image.
Moving Image will make good faith efforts to investigate allegations that any user-generated content violates these Conditions for Use but (a) makes no warranty to you that it will edit, remove, or continue to permit the display of any specific user-generated content, whether or not subject to such allegations, and (b) will have no liability whatsoever for editing, removing, or continuing to permit the display of any user-generated content whatsoever.
6. Moving Image may at any time revise these Terms and Conditions by updating this posting. Users are bound by any such revisions and should therefore periodically revisit this page to review current Terms and Conditions.